Dave McMurray Grateful Deadiction
Dave McMurray has taken a long, strange trip to arrive at his sophomore release for Blue Note Records. On Grateful Deadication, the saxophonist bridges his gritty, soulful Detroit sound with the flower empowered songs of San Francisco icons the Grateful Dead with a tribute album as vibrant as it is unexpected.
For this spirited excursion into the Dead’s vast repertoire, McMurray reconvened the rhythm section that graced his 2018 Blue Note debut, Music Is Life. This time out, bassist Ibrahim Jones and drummer Jeff Canady are joined by guitarist Wayne Gerard and keyboardist Maurice O’Neal, both longtime compatriots from the Motor City scene, as well as pianist Luis Resto and percussionist Larry Fratangelo, colleagues from McMurray’s days in Was (Not Was).
The album also features a special guest appearance by Grateful Dead co-founder Bob Weir, along with powerhouse vocalist Bettye LaVette and Weir’s Wolf Bros bandmates Don Was, Jay Lane, Jeff Chimenti and Greg Leisz, for a transcendent version of Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter’s “Loser.”
- Fire on the Mountain (Mickey Hart)
- Dark Star (Bill Kreutzmann)
- Loser feat. Bettye LaVette (Jerry Garcia/Robert Hunter)
- Estimated Prophet (Bob Weir)
- Eyes Of The World (Jerry Garcia)
- The Eleven (Phil Lesh)
- Touch of Grey feat. Herschel Boone (Jerry Garcia/Robert Hunter)
- Touch of Grey - Instrumental (Jerry Garcia)
- Franklin's Tower (Jerry Garcia/Bill Kreutzmann)
- The Music Never Stopped (Bob Weir)